AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0
I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here /  

AmiKit X: Ram option for speed (Win/Mac) ??

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#1 Posted: 14 Apr 2017 12:22 
Hi AmiKit,

Since there's no AmiPup linux version of AmiKit X,
will there be no option to load everything into RAM ?

(like in AmiPup, which made everything load so incredibly fast)
because Windows in itself is really slow/sluggish compared to AmiPup linux, I think.

But I know you said that AmiKit 9 and X is much faster, but will they be as fast as AmiKit8 was with everything loaded into RAM?

Thanks
Regards
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#2 Posted: 14 Apr 2017 16:48 
AmiKit in Windows is good also!

Okay, I actually switched to Win7 to test the speed,
seems I was wrong, Win7 has good speed, once all the clutter (programs, startup programs) have been reduced with
"Ultimate Windows Tweaks" program, to make WIn 7 shutdown faster and react faster!

Now programs like Abiword open in 0.5 second - just as fast as on AmiPup8

I'm looking forward to AmiKit X on Windows now, hope X will suppoert my Win7 system

Regards
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#3 Posted: 14 Apr 2017 16:49 Edited by: amikit_noob 
And all the same Amiga-like programs for AmiPup are available for Win7 also, with the same Amiga- skins/style,
so feels just like it was in AmiPup

amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#4 Posted: 15 Apr 2017 14:42 Edited by: amikit_noob 
Since I'm also using AmiKit for Windows, here is what it could look like on Win7:

The window borders have been skinned to look like Amiga/AmiKit
Replaced default icons with Amiga icon set
MPlayer-like movie/music player
Amiga-like borderless image viewer program on the desktop
Firefox browser opened from inside AmiKit8 (RabbitHole) is skinned to look like Amiga/AmiKit
Working "Full-Window" AmiKit8 (resized to 800x600 in the screenshot, but works perfect in Full-Window to use entire screen)
Music .mp3 and live netradio stream player with Classic AmigaOS look
"Ninja" Amiga demo running in AmigaForever2016 player window.

Also these programs work just as well as in AmiPup and are skinned to look like Amiga/AmiKit:

WinUAE (Printing from inside AmiKit 8 using microgolded texteditor in AmiKit8 with a Color Laser printer emulating a 48-pin Amiga dotmatrix printer)
Gimp
AbiWord
Blender
Netflix HD
Youtube HD
Firefox
Google Chrome
Amiga demos and Amiga games and Amiga programs

And there is almost no problem with the mouse cursor being hijaked, when using RabbitHOle programs and returning to AmiKit8 desktop
when using "AmiKit8 for Windows" and Windows7, so all in all a REALLY good Amiga experience, and just as fast as fast AmiPup8!

Screenshot (1680x1050):
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/4zVaFMUv5.png

Looking forward to AmiKit X on this Window 7 setup

Regards
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#5 Posted: 15 Apr 2017 14:52 
Also in Windows7 the mouse cursor is red Amiga-like, complete with the round watch "busy" icon from AmigaOS
Done with third-party skin/styling programs

Later I will make tutorials on how to customize your Windows to look like this

Regards
amikit_noob

I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here /
 AmiKit X: Ram option for speed (Win/Mac) ??

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top