Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 
Welcome to AmiKit Support Forum!

(Click here for main AmiKit website)
none

Forums Search Register Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here /

Open Firefox browser in AmiKit8.5 (Amiga Forever 2016 - Windows 7)

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#1 Posted: 29 Oct 2016 19:57 
Hi AmiKit, I love you guys

How do I get Firefox, Internet Explorer, Thunderbird to work in AmiKit 8.5 (in Amiga Forever 2016 on Windows 7) ?

I click AmiKit menu startbutton (the green cat eye), and choose Internet > win > Mozilla Firefox.

But nothing happens ?

My setup:
AmiKit 8.5 updated, new fresh install
Amiga Forever 2016 Plus Edition (Version 2016.0.24.0) updated.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit (2GB Ram, 2.33Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo PC)
Firefox 49.02 (newest available) in Windows 7

Thanks for your help
Regards,
amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 3 Nov 2016 00:16 
I am consulting this with Cloanto and will let you know ASAP.

Thanks for your report.

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#3 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 07:37 Edited by: amikit_noob 
FIXED THE FIREFOX PROBLEM!

(This is not a AmigaForever solution, instead it is an even better "AmiKit MK2 for USB" solution that can boot into linux from USB or install linux to harddisk, or be used as a Windows7 .exe file!)

(If forum users need a step-by-step tutorial for AmiKit MK2 USB/AmiPup8.5.0 Linux, just ask and I will post one

For now, here is the Windows7 (executable file) solution:
Install AmiKit MK2 (the version made for USB) on a 8GB (or more) USB stick
(use RUFUS (in Windows7) to install it to USB drive).

In Windows7 (or similair windows),
double-click on the AmiKit8.exe file found in "AmiKit for Windows" folder on your USB drive
and wait for it to install AmiKit on Windows (it might take a while

Start AmiKit from Windows Startmenu (or similair place),
click the Firefox icon inside AmiKit Startmenu,
then Firefox will launch from within AmiKit, just like a normal Windows program

(Remember to have installed newest Firefox in Windows first
---

Next thing for me to try, is to test AmiKit MK2 on the USB, as it was intended to be used,
and boot from the USB drive, this will boot into AmiPup8.5.0 (the linux OS for AMiKit MK2 on the USB)
then setup/install AmiKit MK2 from within AmiPup 8.5.0. linux, and then see if Firefox (in AmiPup8.5.0. Linux)
will load from within AmiKit MK2

If that works, then I will try to install the AmiPup8.5.0. (from the USB) to my harddisk, so I can boot directly into
AmiPup8.5.0. on the harddisk, and then launch AmiKit MK2 from within AmiPup 8.5.0. on the harddisk.

That should be a complete and modern 2016-2017 Amiga/Linux hybrid OS on the harddisk

--

To others reading this, Please share your experience/problems/solutions with me/the forum, if you have already installed
AmiPup 8.5.0. and AmiKit MK2 to harddisk

Thanx
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#4 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 07:42 Edited by: amikit_noob 
Info for the Windows7 side of "modern Amiga":

... launching the Windows versions of Internet Explorer, the mail program and the PDF program from within AmiKit MK2 (AmiKit8.exe) inside Windows7, also works the same way as described with getting Firefox to work

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#5 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 08:01 Edited by: amikit_noob 
Info for the AmiPup/Linux side of your "modern Amiga":

...if you boot into/use AmiPup8.5.0. linux on the USB, then you can easily install modern linux programs to make it a complete Amiga/Linux OS that does everything expected from a 2016/2017 Amiga .

(..and Linux programs open quickly!! because AmiPup8.5.0. puts everything into Ram on your PC, so programs open within 0.5 to 2 seconds! Remember to have at least a total of 2GB Ram on your PC, but more is better, to avoid AmiPup/Linux from locking up/freeze if you have many programs open at the same time!!!)

Search google for ".pet" packages (modern uptodate linux programs packed in a format called "pet" for easy install)

(Not all .pet packages work, even if they install correctly, so if a .pet program won't launch, then try to download the same .pet program from another website, where they have a newer/older version of the same .pet program!)

When you have downloaded a .pet package (program)
find the file, doubleclick on it, say Yes or Ok to install that program, wait for it to install and finish updating the Startmenu.

Then open the Terminal (click the green/black terminal icon called "Console" in the bottom of the desktop, in the bar with all the shortcut icons), then in the terminal (Console) window, just type the name of the pet program you just installed, to launch it.

for instance if you downloaded "redshiftgui-0.2.1.pet" package using google (similair to "f.lux" in windows)
then in AmiPup just doubleclick the redshiftgui-0.2.1.pet file, say Yes or Ok to install the file, wait for it to finish, and then type:

redshiftgui

(and hit Enter)

in the Console/Terminal

this will open the program

This way you can easily install modern 3D program like Blender, modern music/movie player like VLC, FTP program and other stuff, to make your "Amiga" be uptodate and do everything like a 2016/2017 Amiga should

(These programs only launch from linux/AmiPup itself, not from within AmiKit, but maybe you can figure out how to make
a shortcut to the linux program, from within AmiKit MK2, just like the shortcut inside AmiKit that launches the Linux/AmiPup Firefox

Thanx
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#6 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 08:23 
Please share back with your own solutions, so we can make this thread a "Super-fast (low-cost) Complete Modern 2017 Amiga/Linux Hybrid Solution" thread, that is a "win-win" for all modern-Amiga users

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#7 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 09:01 
... And an updated Firefox 45.02 in AmiPup/Linux supports all the latest CSS3, HTML5, javascript,

so you CAN watch 720P youtube flawlessly in fullscreen 1920x1080 on a (lowcost old 2GB Ram, 2.33Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo PC) "Amiga"

You can work as a modern webdeveloper too, everything works in Firefox 45.02, so CSS3, HTML5, javascript is ready for you
(Which is what I will be using my AmiPup/Linux Amiga for

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#8 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 09:04 
Would love to get some useful replies on this

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#9 Posted: 16 Dec 2016 12:23 Edited by: amikit_noob 
UPDATE:

MODERN 2017 AMIGA-LIKE SYSTEM USING AMIKIT/AMIPUP SOFTWARE ON PC HARDWARE:

(Go here: http://forum.amiga.sk/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=1595 )

Click the link to read the new thread, with more updates on modern Amiga-like hybrid operating system (Linux + Amiga 68K), with all the programs you could want from your 2017 highend "Amiga", including:

AmigaOS4 look and feel,
Netflix in HD,
Youtube in HD,
Google Chrome
(2016 browser with CSS3, HTML5, Flash, javascript, extensions and Chrome DevTools for Web Development),
Firefox
(2016 browser with CSS3, HTML5, Flash, javascript, extensions and Firefox DeveloperTools for WebDev.),
redshiftgui (like f.lux),
Dropbox,
Google Drive,
VLC (modern music and HD movie player),
Blender (3D program),
Gimp (Photoshop alternative),
FTP programs,
PDF programs,
Easy install of new linux programs with a few mouseclicks,
Easy to use Linux Terminal/Console,
AmigaOS style icons on desktop/in filemanager,
AmiPup Linux desktop in minimum 1920x1080 pixels resolution,
AmiKit Amiga desktop in minimum 1920x1080 pixels resolution,
Amiga (AGA) demoscene demos in fullscreen,
AmiKit itself, for your classic Amiga programs, demos and games

(Go here: http://forum.amiga.sk/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=1595 )

Check the new thread, once in a while when I update it

Thanx
amikit_noob

I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here / Open Firefox browser in AmiKit8.5 (Amiga Forever 2016 - Windows 7) Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0