AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

How do you write the amipup.iso to a USB

Author sunnyeveryday
Partaker
#1 Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:17 
Can you please describe, in detail, how to write the amipup live.iso to a USB stick and make it bootable.

Thanks.

Author sunnyeveryday
Partaker
#2 Posted: 5 Jul 2015 20:13 
Followup.

The reason I ask, is because I have written many bootable OS's to USB sticks using both windows and Linux, and yet when I try with amikit/amipup, it fails to boot every time.

I'm puzzled.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 7 Jul 2015 20:43 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi,

some USB Flash drives are difficult to boot off, and some PCs have BIOSes that do not boot from USB or have peculiar restrictions.

First try to burn the ISO to CD. Once the system is booted from CD, you can select to install the system on USB stick.

More info here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Puppy430-tutorial-English.pdf

And here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm

Author amigaprez
Partaker
#4 Posted: 11 Aug 2015 23:50 
The puppu linux guy says that downloading the .iso file on a Windows machine results in truncated file names for the linux files. That is why the boot fails. You can either rename the linux files manually or download on another machine that does not truncate the file names like Windows does to 8-characters and all in upper case. The upper case is also an issue, since (apparently) the boot loader looks for file names in lower case instead. Just thought you might like to know. This information comes from the link posted by above by AmiKit, http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm. I'm about to download the file to a flash drive from my Amiga OS4.1 machine and try to boot again from the x86 machine. I'll post the results here when I get it to work.

Author zeke1312
Partaker
#5 Posted: 22 Aug 2015 19:02 
Use "rufus" to create a bootable thumb drive, then load iso

Author klesterjr
#6 Posted: 24 Aug 2015 22:05 
zeke1312:
Use "rufus" to create a bootable thumb drive, then load iso

Please don't do it that way.

Boot the AmiPUP CD and click the "paw print" icon next to the AmiPUP logo at the top. Select "Install AmiPUP to Flash Drive" (first link) and follow the prompts. It's very easy and creates a proper system that you can boot and save your data and your system configuration to.

Author klesterjr
#7 Posted: 24 Aug 2015 22:09 
amigaprez:
The puppu linux guy says that downloading the .iso file on a Windows machine results in truncated file names for the linux files.

The only way that would happen is if you tried moving the files off of the iso using Windows (and then only in certain circumstances). Download the iso on any machine with any system you want and then burn it to a CD and boot with that.

Author amigaluv
Partaker
#8 Posted: 31 Dec 2015 00:00 
That did not work for me. It only copied a single linux file to my usb when it is done

klesterjr:
Boot the AmiPUP CD and click the "paw print" icon next to the AmiPUP logo at the top. Select "Install AmiPUP to Flash Drive" (first link) and follow the prompts. It's very easy and creates a proper system that you can boot and save your data and your system configuration to.

Author klesterjr
#9 Posted: 31 Dec 2015 11:00 
amigaluv

Not enough information. I can think of a couple of reasons why that would happen. Can you expound on the steps that you performed?

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 How do you write the amipup.iso to a USB

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑