AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Freeze on startup

Author Bolkonskij
Partaker
#1 Posted: 8 Sep 2014 21:52 Edited by: Bolkonskij 
Hey everyone,

look for some help after meddling with AmiKit / Hi-Toro / UAE on my Mac Pro for the past two hours. Took my first steps on Amigas and after being a Mac user for the past 20 years, I really really wanted to take a dive back into my younger years. So here is the scenario:

Freshly installed AmiKit on my Mac Pro running 10.6.8. I used my Amiga Forever disc to install the necessary files running Intel UAE and everything worked seamless. Great job! I first booted into Magellan as suggested, but since I couldn't really recall anything I decided to revert to Workbench (hoping I would recognize at least something).

I used Morpheuz and it changed as proposed. Next went to change the resolution up to 1024 x 768. I asked for a reboot and I did and well.. since that it's not starting up anymore. Stuck. While it does boot and the loading bar fills up all the way to the right, nothing happens anymore. Been watching this screen for the past 30 minutes. Here is a screenshot: http://i59.tinypic.com/2e3u5hl.png

I'm somewhat lost now as for how to undo the latest changes or set AmiKit back to the default configuration!?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 9 Sep 2014 11:48 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Bolkonskij and welcome back to Amiga world!

I am glad you chose AmiKit as it is very advanced environment. Actually it is so modern (24bit visual themes, dualPNG icons, TrueType fonts, etc.) that it doesn't look like an old Amiga desktop you might remember.

Anyway, you've proven good skills installing everything correctly! Congrats. The problem you've encountered is just a detail. I would guess the screen mode you have selected is somehow not compatible with your monitor and Amiga complains about it. And it complains behind the boot image. Simply press ESC key to close the boot image and check out what is happening behind it. Probably some action is requested from you.

Then the desktop might load in ugly colours. Ignore it and try to run the "Screenmode AmiKit" program again. Select your screen mode. The program adjusts the graphics, window and icon positions according to it. It also sets the screen mode to the selected one, of course, using a pre-saved config file - which is probably not compatible with your monitor. Therefore, before you reboot, the program asks you to run the system's "Screenmode" program so you can save your own screen mode config file. Simply select the same (or similar) screen mode size in this system's Screenmode program too and then reboot.

Please let me know how it worked.

Author Bolkonskij
Partaker
#3 Posted: 9 Sep 2014 19:13 
AmiKit, thanks for the detailed and helpful answer! Indeed, pressing ESC brought up an odd 4 color screen of the old workbench. I went to set the Screenmode correctly and noticed I had chosen PAL HiRes?? Once I changed it to uaegfx something, which brought back the modern front end. (which looks fabulous, btw!)

So far everything works again, thanks for your help!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 10 Sep 2014 00:21 
You're very welcome. If you need any assistance just start a new thread.

Have fun with AmiKit!

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Freeze on startup

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑