AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

BASIC QUESTIONs for AMINET - HOW TO DO

Author Retro_Amiga
Partaker
#1 Posted: 13 Nov 2013 12:18 
Hello ,
I am 36 years old.My first computer is Commodore 64 and then Amiga500+ and Amiga1200 and then so on.......
WORKBENCH is the first multitasking , great operating OS in the Planet, what a Great heritage to us.I miss old times.

I forgot to use some Amiga commands and other things.
1-) I want to ask , how could we execute the demos , games or other programs in aminet folder on Amikit OS , there was a ".lha" extension files and some files has ".exe" extension ?When i want to execute a demo or game it appears a command window and and state "RUN: ......" what was that?
2-) How can we transfer files from outside source into AmikitOS and installing to Amikit HDD?
3-) How can we make a bootable Amikit on to our laptops, EEPC's etc. ?Is there any version for tablets ,iphones and other android devices ?

I think someone might be prepare a user guide for newbies with clear , easy explanation and with a pictures step by step guide should be GREAT.

Sorry for my grammer..

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 13 Nov 2013 22:58 
Hello and welcome back!

First of all, check the AmiKit tutorial videos first, they might be useful: http://amikit.amiga.sk/knowledge-base.htm#tutorialvideos

Also you can find some Magellan tutorials on the very same page too (Magellan is the advanced environment used instead of Workbench).

Regarding your questions,

1) Aminet folder is actually a FTP connection. The files are not on your computer physically. Download them first, eg. by drag&drop, and unpack them to eg. RAM. The AmiKit tutorial videos shows how to unpack the archives. I would say that .exe extension you are talking about is also an archive - a self executable one. Download it to your hard disk (or RAM) first.

2) You should see Windows drives on your desktop. That's how you get files to your AmiKit. Or download the files from internet directly. Installing to HDD? Depends on what you want to install. Usually Amiga programs runs without any installation, you just need to unpack the program's archive.

3) AmiKit needs Windows (or Linux or Mac) to run in the background so technically you cannot boot into AmiKit directly without any host OS. Regarding the EEE PC, look here http://eeeamiga.wordpress.com/amikit/

Unfortunately there's no version for iphone or android (yet)

Author Retro_Amiga
Partaker
#3 Posted: 13 Nov 2013 23:54 
Thank you Admin
These informations are very useful.
I think we might be make a campaign about making self alone bootable AmiKitOS for PC's hardware and tablets even smart phones.
If it happens it was very wonderful for retro users..

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 BASIC QUESTIONs for AMINET - HOW TO DO

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑