AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Starting again

Author AshtonPete
Partaker
#1 Posted: 27 Aug 2013 16:29 
The last time I messed with an Amiga was in my 40tees and that was 0ver 20 years ago, so I thought I'd download AmiKit to play a few games for old time's sake, It came from the Desert, Gods and so on.
However I am at a total loss as what to do, it's like learning to walk again. I need to know in simple step by step non technical laymen's terms how to create a hard drive and run some games on it.
I am at a loss why after 20odd years this sort of thing is not made easy and simple from one executable file, just run then pick a game, click it and it works. But it's much more complex than that; which is disappointing for 2013 when the technology is now available to make life simpler for those of us who have an issue understanding it all.

So I just need a little help on the first hurdle, is there anyone out there willing to give me a hand to get set up plz?

Thanks
Pete
Wigan

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 27 Aug 2013 19:50 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Pete and welcome back!

If you want to try your favourite old games, AmiKit is not the right tool for you. AmiKit, basically, is a heavily upgraded AmigaOS and its primary purpose is to run various programs, do a file-management, etc. Some newer games can be run easily too, but old games requires a special installer...

So if you managed to install AmiKit and you can see the desktop, you will need game files, usually in ADF format (one ADF file = image of one floppy disk. Many games consists of more disks). In AmiKit you can "insert" such a disk by doubleclicking the .adf file (it gets unpacked and inserted into virtual RAD: device). But like I said old games need special installer so they can be run on newer system like AmiKit. These installer can be found at www.whdload.de Download and unpack the one you need, run it and the installer asks for the disks to be inserted... Use the .adf images like I described before.

However if you want to play games only, there's much more easier solution. It is called "Amiga Forever", a package that contains AmigaOS itself (required by AmiKit) together with a nice Windows player with many pre-installed games. It's really easy to run Amiga game with "Amiga Forever". Check it out at www.amigaforever.com

Author AshtonPete
Partaker
#3 Posted: 27 Aug 2013 20:29 
Thanks for your reply...I will look into AF tonight with a view to a download. Ta...

Author sian
Partaker
#4 Posted: 12 Mar 2016 01:42 
im also stuck .

there a video on u tube it shows amikit x working on a amiga 1200. the comments said u need os 3.9
i have both ( and the amiga forever 2016 with amikit x)

the video has me wanting to do the same set up but.
http://youtu.be/3u-oKyIADJc

ive been away for a while but something tells me this video isnt what it seems.

so for now im using my net book to go down the rabbit hole but i cant get colour after boot up ( went with recommended options)

till a.l.i.c.e is avalible ( my pc has had it)

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 12 Mar 2016 09:47 Edited by: AmiKit 
Select 800x600 screen when AmiKit asks during its install process. It should be the most compatible screen mode and should work on most HW configs out there.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Starting again

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑