AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

I'm new to Amikit and need help with screen size and theme

Author Ozfer
Partaker
#1 Posted: 21 Jul 2012 16:35 
Hi im new to Amikit and as the title says I need some help with screen size. I see the available screen sizes in 2 different locations. When I click on them they all appear as squares. Is there a 1080p (1920x1080) resolution to fit my widescreen monitor? The other ones are either a big square that extend off the monitor and the smaller ones get stretched out too much in full screen
Also I love Amikit and all but the theme is a bit more Amikit oriented then amiga oriented. Is there a way I can change theme and choose a different desktop background? I tried look through the menus and I could not find any options that work. Also is Amikit compatible with most Amiga programs and is there anything it is not compatible with?

Thanks-

Ozfer :D

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 22 Jul 2012 01:04 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi and welcome!

In AmiKit, you should be able to select exactly the same screenmodes as you use on your PC. Run the "AmiKit:Prefs/ScreenMode" program and check it out. If the particular mode is there, don't do anything. Let's adjust AmiKit graphics and windows sizes to the high resolution first. Run the following program:

"AmiKit:Prefs/ScreenMode AmiKit"

Select the screen mode that is closest to the one you want to use. In this case it's 1680X1050. Then press the Apply button. On next request press the "Visible" button.

Then the program encourages you to set the real screen mode in your system prefs too. So press the "Run Screenmode" button and select the exact mode there: UAE 1920x1080 32bit BGRA and press the "SAVE" button.

Regarding the theme, you can use MorpheuZ program (located on desktop) to change the appearance of windows graphics. Select the one you like from variety of classic or 24bit themes.

You can also change the desktop background. Simply press right mouse button over the image file and select "Set as Background" item. For more possibilities, left click the desktop (so it is activated), then press right mouse button and select "Settings -> Environment" item.

Regarding your last question, yes, AmiKit is compatible with the most AmigaOS3.x programs. MANY of them are already included. Check out the start menu, for example. AmiKit is not compatible with AmigaOS4.x programs, though, as that's completely different architecture.

Author Amiga4000
Partaker
#3 Posted: 9 Sep 2012 22:29 
I have a Lenovo E420 (max res is 1366x768). I have never been able to get Prefs/ScreenMode to respond to any change (use) in the default 800x600 resolution. I just get small box with some jumping shape with an exclamation point no matter what screen mode I try to use. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. I love AmiKit but would use it much more if I could change the screen res to widescreen. Love playing classic games!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 9 Sep 2012 22:41 
What about UAE 1024x768 32bit BGRA? Is it in the list? If so, select it and hit SAVE and reboot. Any change?

Author Amiga4000
Partaker
#5 Posted: 9 Sep 2012 22:56 Edited by: Amiga4000 
Should I try this using Prefs/ScreenMode or Prefs/ScreenMode AmiKit?

I just changed the res in Prefs/ScreenMode 1024x768 32bit BGRA, hit save & rebooted AmiKit. The screen comes up looking the same as 800x600 but when I go back and check Prefs/ScreenMode it shows that 1024x768 is in use with visible size as 1024x768. Yet no change!? BTW, thanks for taking the time to help!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 9 Sep 2012 23:04 Edited by: AmiKit 
Use Prefs/Screenmode.

It's strange it doesn't work. Do you use fullscreen? You might want to switch to Windowed mode just to see if it does anything... Pres F12, a WinUAE window will open, click the Display tab and change RTG from Fullscreen to Windowed. You might also try to play with other settings there. Or try to update to the latest WinUAE version. Download ZIP archive from WinUAE website, extract the archive and copy the WinUAE.exe to AmiKit\WinUAE folder and replace the WinUAE.exe there.

Author Amiga4000
Partaker
#7 Posted: 9 Sep 2012 23:36 Edited by: Amiga4000 
OK, well when I try "windowed" the window is the correct size specified (1024x768) (changed RTG to Windowed) (Also changed the specs in the windowed input boxes to 1024x768) but the AmiKit desktop always stays the same at 800x600 with black edges filling the rest of the windowed 1024x768) screen on each side. In other words, I can never get an AmiKit Desktop (the green area) to be anything other 800x600. Does that make any sense? Sorry, maybe I was explaining it wrong. I also tried the newest WinUAE.exe you suggested but same results.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 10 Sep 2012 00:02 
I understand. What happens if you play with the WinUAE display settings? On top of the window, there are screen settings. In my case it shows ATI Radeon or Generic monitor. Below, there's another fullscreen selector. It's set to 800x600. Try to change it.

(Midnight here... I'll be available for help again tomorrow evening)

Author Amiga4000
Partaker
#9 Posted: 10 Sep 2012 00:06 Edited by: Amiga4000 
Ahh, need sleepy 'eh? LOL I'll play around some more and let you know and thanks! It's 6pm here in Michigan. I'm only home on Sundays so maybe I can catch you next week or sooner... nighty nite!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 10 Sep 2012 23:17 
Okay. Do the test with the latest WinUAE. Winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt are required. Start AmiKit launcher, press the Configure WinUAE button, switch to Misc tab, enable logging (Create log file and Illegal memory accesses), start the emulation, change the resolution to some resolution that "does not work", quit emulation and send me the log files, please.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 I'm new to Amikit and need help with screen size and theme

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑