AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

How to adjust screen size

Author LogMan
Partaker
#1 Posted: 9 Apr 2012 20:34 
Hello,
I'm new to Amikit ( so far I love it ! ) but I have a couple of things I can't figure out.

1: No matter what screen size I choose, the whole screen is slightly too large, and I can't see the very bottom bar and some of the sides.

I can't find any way to resize the whole screen to make it a tad smaller overall so I can see everything and it is a tad annoying.

I am using Amiga Forever 2012 Plus under Vista 64.

If any additional info is needed let me know.

2: When I first ran Amikit, it showed a games package (58 megs ) I could d/l, which I did, and it said it installed okay,but darned if I can find it anywhere !

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 10 Apr 2012 00:01 
Hi and welcome to AmiKit!

1) What screen mode do you use for Windows desktop? And what program do you use to change the screen mode in AmiKit?

I would recommend to use "AmiKit:Prefs/Screenmode AmiKit". It adjusts icons and windows according to the screen mode you select. Select the one (or similar) you use for Windows desktop. At the end of the selection the program asks you to run regular screen mode prefs too. Better select the desired screen mode here as well.

I am not sure, but in AmigaOS there used to be an Overscan prefs program that might help you with the problem you describe. Check out the AmiKit:Prefs folder.

Btw. does the same problem happen with Amiga Forever desktop?

2) As far as I remember the ArtiGames add-on installs its content into AmiKit:Games folder.

Author LogMan
Partaker
#3 Posted: 10 Apr 2012 00:42 
Hi and thanks for the welcome !

1) What screen mode do you use for Windows desktop? And what program do you use to change the screen mode in AmiKit?

I use my monitor's native mode of 1680x1050, and I've used the AmiKit:Prefs/Screenmode AmiKit program.

I'm only having this problem with Amikit, and not the Amiga Forever desktop.

It's frustrating as everything is fine as far as the whole screen goes, but there is no "handle" to resize the main screenlike most screens.

As for the Artigames add-on, I thought it had installed but I don't think it did, as there are no add-on games there, just the ones that came with the Amikit program.

I tried d/l the games again but for some reason I can't d/l the whole pkg, just 4.8 megs of it and if I try doing it from the Amikit screen, it tries to resume the d/l but gives a message of "not within range" so I guess I'll give up on it ( for now )

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 11 Apr 2012 00:13 
Hi!

1) I use the very same screen mode here with no problems. Hmm.. maybe try to use different version of WinUAE, v 2.4.0 or older. Simply download it from here, extract the zip archive and copy the executable to your Window's AmiKit\WinUAE folder. Alternatively try to play with WinUAE settings: In AmiKit graphical launcher press the "Configure WinUAE" button and go to Display settings.

2) Maybe the server was overloaded, please download the add-on again. I don't have access to my development computer right now but as far as I remember the add-on creates "Arti" folder in your AmiKit:Games folder where all the add-on games are installed.

Author LogMan
Partaker
#5 Posted: 11 Apr 2012 03:28 
Thanks again for the reply.

I've spent a few hrs on the screen problem, tried the WinUAE settings but nothing seems to work.

Maybe I'm not being clear enough so I'll try explaining my problem better.
If I switch to Full screen mode everything is okay, but when AmiKit starts up first in "windowed" mode, that's where I'm having the problem.

It's like it's bigger than the Fullscreen mode, and there's no way to shrink the screen to make it smaller so I can see everything properly.

I've just checked the WinUAE version I have and it appears to be older than what you suggest, it's version 2.3.3 (2011.09.18) that's what was installed when I d/l the Amiga Forever program on Sunday.

I will try the newer version and let you know what happens.

I'll also try re-d/l the add-on too.

Thanks for your time !

Author LogMan
Partaker
#6 Posted: 11 Apr 2012 15:05 
Well I tried WinUAE4, no difference other than it kept crashing when I went to fullscreen mode for games

So I put the old version back.

Can't figure out the point of having a windowed AmiKit screen mode that you can't change the size .

Tried d/l the add-on again, got as far as 43megs and it quits, maybe it doesn't like my slow connection, I live 30 miles from anywhere and use a USB air modem, way faster than dial-up but still slow.

Author LogMan
Partaker
#7 Posted: 12 Apr 2012 05:37 
I've just discovered that I have the same problem when I run AmigaSYS too, so I guess it's something related to WinUAE.

Darned if I can figure it out

Author LogMan
Partaker
#8 Posted: 13 Apr 2012 07:11 
Update: I uninstalled the whole AmigaForever pkg because it was starting to crash too and re-installed it, and now everything works, so I guess something was corrupted.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 13 Apr 2012 14:39 
Hmm.. interesting. Sometimes my first advice should be: try to uninstall and install again ) Yeah, that's Windows world.

Anyway, I am glad it works for you now. Enjoy AmiKit!

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 How to adjust screen size

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑