AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /  

64 bit Wine on Mac?

Author Craziazkowboi
Partaker
#1 Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:45 
G'day y'all,

I have a Mac running Mojave (10.14.1), and was recently playing around upgrading my Wine and WinUAE versions from the default AmiKit install. I upgraded to Wine v3.03 from v2.00 by downloading the wine installer (not the Tarball), installing, then locating the usr directory and copying to 'AmiKit X.app/Contents/MacOS/wine/usr. The Tarball download always failed, and did not show the Wine file as executable - probably easily fixed, but my *nix skills are limited.

I also upgraded WinUAE to v4.01, although there is no noticeable difference from either of these upgrades in my opinion. I also tried to update to AmigaOS 3.1.4, buy the super-geniuses at Hyperion have taken down the direct download, so now I would have to buy Roms and disks that I will never use and have them shipped to Australia, which is an expensive delivery just to enable a direct download! Hyperion, wake up, you are losing sales!

Anyway, rant aside , MacOS warns that AmiKit/Wine may not work with future versions of this app as its not 64bit. So I tried renaming the wine64 executable to wine, but alas, the AmiKit icon bounces just once in the dock, and then appears to quit. I change back to the 32bit wine, and it all works fine again. This also prevents me from running the 64-bit version of WinUAE on my Mac, arrghhh!

Is there a way around this, will there be an update to AmiKit to enable 64bit on a Mac please?

Thanks,
Craziazkowboi!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 19 Nov 2018 22:28 
Hey Craziazkowboi!

Thanks for your post. It's a long time since I created AmiKit installer for Mac (that's why the included Wine is v2 only). I don't recall all the details now, but I remember some extra work had to be done in order to run everything in 64bit. I am sorry for the vague answer, I will get into the thing again once I start preparing a new AmiKit installer. And I will surely try to make it 64bit by default. If I am successful, I will write a step-by-step guide so you can turn your existing installation to 64bit too. (Btw. I learned that with 64bit WinUAE you can have more memory in AmiKit but there are no real advantages compared to 32bit).

Meanwhile please keep using the standard 32bit edition and just ignore the Mojave warning.

Author Craziazkowboi
Partaker
#3 Posted: 20 Nov 2018 09:41 
Thanks for replying so quick! I love your package, and would be happy to pay for the upgrade when the time comes. I've had many real Amiga's and upgraded to 060 and PPC. AmiKit X on a modern Mac is better than all of them.

Author nilly
Partaker
#4 Posted: 22 Nov 2018 15:57 
You could just use FS-uae on osx instead, thats what i use for my osx. Runs better than winuae with wine.

Author Craziazkowboi
Partaker
#5 Posted: 22 Nov 2018 21:23 
Sounds like a plan, but can my Amikit X config and hdf be imported so I don't lose all that work? I had a quick play and created an FS-UAE config file with as close settings as I could, added the Amikit.hdf file, but in the 5 minute trial, it crashes with a software error when I try to start it up. Has anyone exported their Amikit WinUAE config and files to FS-UAE, got any tips?

Thanks!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 22 Nov 2018 22:05 
Craziazkowboi

I know someone! I will ask him to share it.

Author Craziazkowboi
Partaker
#7 Posted: 23 Nov 2018 13:08 
Thanks! Any and all help appreciated! It's something to do with the hdf file that FS-UAE does not like. I copied the hdf file to a folder on my Mac, and mounted that as a hard drive with limited success. It boots (much slower than wine), and then comes up with 5 errors,
- opus_pattern_stuff program failed error #800000000B,
- another window title DOS error: device (or volume) is not mounted,
- another error ShowAmiga96 - Problem "At least one window (of an alien program) is still open on the boot screen. ShowAmiga96 will stay in the background until all windows are closed...
- System Request "Intuition is attempting to reset the Workbench screen. Please close all windows, except drawers.
- and finally, another System Request "Need version 37 of mathieeesingbas.library

I don't expect anyone to resolve all these, just demonstrates Im closer, but in a mess .

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 23 Nov 2018 19:23 

Author Craziazkowboi
Partaker
#9 Posted: 25 Nov 2018 05:17 
My main use was for playing retro games, and with fs-uae's arcade mode, the job is complete. I never used any of the Amiga OS features really, just made navigating to WHDLoad games prettier on the journey. Love Amikit, but fs-uae looks like it is going to be my way forward.

Thanks everyone for your help, awesome!! Im uni Ami heaven, all the good bits.

Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /
 64 bit Wine on Mac?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ TOP