AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /  

amIRC Freezes WinUAE

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author robheaton
Partaker
#1 Posted: 13 Jan 2018 19:44 
Hello,
I'm using the latest AmiKIT on mac os, when connecting to any IRC server using amIRC causes WinUAE to freeze.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Cheers,
Rob.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 16 Jan 2018 07:51 
Yes, I can confirm the freeze. I will investigate the issue and try to fix it in next update.

Thank you for the report!
Jan

Author robheaton
Partaker
#3 Posted: 16 Jan 2018 21:15 
Great!
Thank you.

If you need me to test anything, please let me know.
I also tried loading the AmiKIT hard drive image under FS-UAE, to try native rather than WinUAE under wine, but I can't get it to boot

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 16 Jan 2018 22:33 Edited by: AmiKit 
AmiKit X uses dynamic hardfile which is probably not supported by FS-UAE.

Please note that WinUAE under wine is the most compatible solution and on top of that it might run even faster than on Windows because there’s no Windows in background Also, Wine Is Not Emulator as its acronym stands for ;)

Author robheaton
Partaker
#5 Posted: 17 Jan 2018 08:25 
Ah!
I never considered it used a dynamic hardfile.
Good point about WINE too!

Author robheaton
Partaker
#6 Posted: 17 Jan 2018 09:01 Edited by: robheaton 
Also found you get the same freeze when trying to use WookieChat to connect to IRC.
It connects, joins the chat room and lists topic and other users before the freeze.

I installed AmiKIT using AmigaOS 3.9, is it worth trying a reinstall using OS3.1/3.5?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 17 Jan 2018 09:20 Edited by: AmiKit 
No, AmigaOS3.9 is the best source.

I will investigate the IRC issue. Just allow some time as there are a lot of things going on here right know.

Thank you for the report!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 24 Jun 2018 23:26 
I can confirm AmIRC and WookieChat freezes on my Macbook. AmIRC freezes on Windows desktop too (even in AmiKit 8 which is strange because I remember it worked). But Wookiechat works fine on Windows desktop... On top of that, there's a guy and AmIRC works for him without any problems on his Windows laptop.

Surprisingly older AmIRC 3.5 works on both Macbook and Windows.

I am puzzled...

Author mjbrenegan
Partaker
#9 Posted: 25 Jun 2018 22:40 
Amirc as well as Wookie Chat work fine here using AmikitX on PC laptop as well as Amikit8 (and AmikitX) from bootable USB flash drive. Is it the application (amirc) freezing or WinUAE? Can you still use another application after the freeze? Have you tried turning identd off, or on?

Author robheaton
Partaker
#10 Posted: 25 Jun 2018 22:52 
I found it was WinUAE that was freezing.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#11 Posted: 26 Jun 2018 01:06 Edited by: AmiKit 
identd off or on has no effect, unfortunately.

Author mjbrenegan
Partaker
#12 Posted: 26 Jun 2018 22:58 
What version(s) of winuae? So, I take it that everything halts?

Author mjbrenegan
Partaker
#13 Posted: 26 Jun 2018 23:00 
Are you running winuae under wine? I ask this, because I am not, and that may indeed be the difference.....

Author AmiKit
Admin
#14 Posted: 26 Jun 2018 23:56 
MacBook on wine (default or latest one) and WinUAE (default and latest one) = freeze
Windows desktop with default or latest WinUAE = freeze
I've also tried different wifi connections, or to switch to MUI 4 or even old MUI 3.8 = still freeze

The only clue is old AmIRC 3.5.0 which works on both of my machines. So if anybody has some versions between 3.5.0 and 3.6.2, I could test which one started to freeze as first and thus track down the problem thanks to changelog.

Author mjbrenegan
Partaker
#15 Posted: 27 Jun 2018 00:30 
I am just totally perplexed why 3.6.2 works here. Thought maybe a wireless thing, but even though I can't get my wireless working under puppy, it works fine under amikitx on the hard drive under windows. amirc works on that machine too. Weird.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /
 amIRC Freezes WinUAE

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top