Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 
Welcome to AmiKit Support Forum!

(Click here for main AmiKit website)
none

Forums Search Register Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
I have Linux specific question AmiKit Support Forum / I have Linux specific question /

Amikit for Linux installation problems

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »  
Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#1 Posted: 15 Apr 2008 22:42 
Hi,

I`ve just gone through the full setup on Ubuntu and believe I have followed everything correctly, i`ve also corrected the permissions as per this site. However when I launch E-UAE all I get is a black window.

The only part of the setup I couldn`t do was set the Z3 memory as the is blanked out. I tried setting it in the .uaerc file but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#2 Posted: 15 Apr 2008 22:54 
Just seen the FAQ about colour depth.

The only option I can find is:

gfx_colour_mode=32bit

It was set to 8 but changing to 32 made no difference.

Author Slider
#3 Posted: 15 Apr 2008 23:19 
I`ve just gone through the full setup on Ubuntu and believe I have followed everything correctly, i`ve also corrected the permissions as per this site. However when I launch E-UAE all I get is a black window.

Are you trying to use a none AGA setting? This could explain the black screen if the chipset model is not set to AGA.

The only part of the setup I couldn`t do was set the Z3 memory as the is blanked out. I tried setting it in the .uaerc file but to no avail.

You cannot set Z3 memory if you use a rom file <=3.0.

The only option I can find is:
gfx_colour_mode=32bit
It was set to 8 but changing to 32 made no difference.

I never use anything but 16bit for gfx_colour_mode. More than 16bit is wasted so there is no point. If you set chipset model to AGA and use a rom file >=3.0 does it all work as it should?

Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#4 Posted: 16 Apr 2008 00:34 
Hi Slider,

Just checked and I am using AGA and the 3.1ROM , I also tried changing the colour mode to 16 but still no luck.

I got the Rom`s from Amiga Forever but used OS3.9 for the OS.

Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#5 Posted: 16 Apr 2008 00:46 
Ok, i`ve made some progress, by replacing the 3.1 rom I got off Amiga Forever with one I used on an old uAE setup called kick31.rom I got a requestor asking me which os to use, I selected 3.9 and it copied files off the cd. However I now get a recoverable alert when I try to load E-UAE.

Author Slider
#6 Posted: 16 Apr 2008 12:05 Edited by: Slider 
Ok, i`ve made some progress, by replacing the 3.1 rom I got off Amiga Forever with one I used on an old uAE setup called kick31.rom I got a requestor asking me which os to use, I selected 3.9 and it copied files off the cd. However I now get a recoverable alert when I try to load E-UAE.

That recoverable alert seems to hit quite a few people. The solution I found was to simply cold start e-uae again. You may need to do this more than once. We think the recoverable alert is caused by afa_os which is not present on the install but is present once installed.

Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#7 Posted: 16 Apr 2008 22:22 
Hi,

When you say cold restart do you mean hit reset? I`ve tried this a few times without luck.

The other thing is it`s still not giving me access the the Z3 and P96 RAM.

Author Slider
#8 Posted: 17 Apr 2008 08:28 
When you say cold restart do you mean hit reset? I`ve tried this a few times without luck.

No, I mean close e-uae down then restart. The issues you are having could be directly related to no P96 ram.

The other thing is it`s still not giving me access the the Z3 and P96 RAM.

With E-UAE you do not have access to Z3 or P96 ram unless you set a 68040 CPU type.

Author Andrew Deacon
Registered
#9 Posted: 17 Apr 2008 22:10 
Hi,

Using the 68040 solved the problem I can now get into Amikit.I only used 68020 as the guide seemed to suggest it was a better option.

First impressions though are its very slow , Aweb keeps crashing and the mui libs for Ibrowse seem to be missing.

I haven`t got time to play with it now but any suggestions would be welcome so I can have a proper go at the weekend.

I`m using Ubuntu 7.1 on a 2.6ghz AMD Dual Core with 2gb of Ram.

Author Slider
#10 Posted: 17 Apr 2008 22:31 
Using the 68040 solved the problem I can now get into Amikit.I only used 68020 as the guide seemed to suggest it was a better option.

Good.

First impressions though are its very slow , Aweb keeps crashing and the mui libs for Ibrowse seem to be missing.

Define slow? Slow compared to what? Because you are using an AMD Dual Core CPU you cannot use JIT as JIT will not compile on 64 bit systems. This can make it 'feel' slow but not slow enough to be unusable. Are you using a self compiled e-uae or a prepackaged one? If prepackaged try compiling it yourself.

Author rbrown
Registered
#11 Posted: 3 Jul 2008 20:14 
Hi everyone, I was having the same problems as some of you were having with recoverable alerts and sometimes getting a black screen. Here's how I got mine working.

I'm running e-uae 0.8.29-WIP4_Linux-i586, AmiKit150_Linux rc9 with Kubuntu 8.04.

The P96 Memory setting is the one that was giving me trouble, originally I had it set to None but once I changed it to something other then None my startup problems went away and now I can use AmiKit on Linux.

It seems to run a little slow so I'm tweaking some settings to see if anything make a difference. It could just be that I need to add more memory to my system.

I hope this helps settles some problems you've been having.

My system is Pentium4 @ 2ghz with 260meg of ram.

Author rbrown
Registered
#12 Posted: 30 Jul 2008 22:23 
I've been playing with AmiKit Linux RC10 and find it totally unusable because it's dead slow. Tried it with e-uae and uae with the same results. Tried changing everything I can think of and nothing helps. I assume it's not AmiKit that's giving problems because it runs fine under WinUae

Author AmiKit
Admin
#13 Posted: 3 Aug 2008 14:52 Edited by: AmiKit 

Author alanwall
Registered
#14 Posted: 11 Sep 2008 02:33 
AmiKit, hope this is the right place to post.
I did an avi capture of my attempt to install
AmiKit on mandriva with 1.5 and you can see
it here, at the bottom

http://home.comcast.net/~amiga/

Author AmiKit
Admin
#15 Posted: 11 Sep 2008 18:28 
You must be missing either pkg-config or/and sdl-config.
aptitude search pkg-config and aptitude search sdl will reveal all.
I dont know which sdl prog contains sdl-configon ubuntu/debain so safe bet is to install all the sdl- including the -dev ones.

New installer version (1.0.0a) is now available. It addresses the {$LOSTFILE} issue.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
I have Linux specific question AmiKit Support Forum / I have Linux specific question / Amikit for Linux installation problems Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0