Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 
Welcome to AmiKit Support Forum!

(Click here for main AmiKit website)
none

Forums Search Register Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
I have Linux specific question AmiKit Support Forum / I have Linux specific question /

Howto use AmiKit with UAE (linux) ?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2  
Author Nekromancer
Registered
#16 Posted: 7 Dec 2006 18:48 
I guess that if you use a hardfile life will be easier, as you'll keep all the original permissions.
Anyway, I'm currently trying to get it running as a volume to mount. I started by simply copying the AmiKit directory from Windows, removed all the execute permissions, and started adding the obvious ones. So far it boots to a blank screen after LoadMonDrvs, but taking into account I started 10 mins ago is not that bad :-D

Author Nekromancer
Registered
#17 Posted: 7 Dec 2006 18:51 
Answering my own post... In fact life will be easier if I create a script to add the permissions based on the output of "file":

$ file uaectrl
uaectrl: AmigaOS loadseg()ble executable/binary

All files identified as that should be executable.

Author sez
Registered
#18 Posted: 29 Jan 2007 20:38 
I've tried getting this to work under Linux also. I installed it under Windows and it works fine. Then I zipped up the directory and unzipped it onto a linux box (running Mandriva).

When trying to boot, I get "C:Safe: file is not executable" errors. Since I'm not very knowledgable with the Amiga, I have no idea what this means.

I have the same kind of problems with AIAB: works fine on Windows, but when I move it over to Linux, I get these "not executable" errors (on different files). Does anybody know what this means?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#19 Posted: 30 Jan 2007 17:19 Edited by: AmiKit 
It seems the files have lost their "executable" attributes. This is caused by transfering files from Amiga to Linux. On Linux all these attributes need to be restored, probably - as the previous posts indicate. I have never used Linux so I don't know how to do that. Someone else please?

If the Linux version of UAE supports hardfiles, you might want to transfer the AmiKit files to hardfile first (on Windows) and then use this harfile with Linux. Hardfile is one large file that consists of Amiga structure and all the Amiga files (actually it's something similar to archive). This way all the Amiga files keep their attributes because they are stored in the hardfile. Here's the AmiKit to HardFile guide.

Author ness62
Registered
#20 Posted: 5 Feb 2007 13:01 Edited by: ness62 
For having recovered Amikit Windows, it is necessary to move CD0 and CD1 of Devs/DosDriver in a file or on the desk of Workbench

For copy of the files from original Cd Os3.5, Os3.9, Amithlon, you must launch E-uae in root (administrator) and Shell. The CDROM are owners

here E-uae of which I is useful itself under Mandriva linux. It is the O.8.27 version. It is enough to decompress the file in your Home and to indicate the kickstart and the hardfile Amikit to him . It functions very well.

uae0827

Author sez
Registered
#21 Posted: 8 Feb 2007 15:17 
Actually, I got this working. I used the UAE from urpmi (I think it came from the contrib repository).

First, I installed Wine so I could run the AmiKit installer and get all the files decompressed. I've got them in ~/amiga/AmiKit.

Because I don't know which files in AmiKit are supposed to be executable and which are not, from within my ~/amiga directory, I permissioned everything as executable:

chmod -R 775 *

For Linux newbies (AmiKit, you should really try this out), you can just right-click on the directory from KDE and change the permissions.

Probably not the best way to do things, but it worked. I then copied the UAE file from my Amiga Forever cd to my AmiKit directory, and named it .uaerc. Then you need to edit the file and change use_gui=no to use_gui=yes.

If you then fire up uae from this directory, it runs off of this configuration file. You'll need to go in and set up the AK0: AmiKit drive and any other parameters you would set up in WinUAE. I have to say that despite interface differences (Linux UAE uses tabs across the top, WinUAE uses the list on the left), the emulators seem to have exactly the same functionality.

Once that was done, I unpaused the emulator and the AmiKit installer came up. Once you're done with the install, you can go back to the .uaerc file and change use_gui=no so you can launch AmiKit right away from e-uae.

We just retired my wife's old notebook, so I was thinking of turning that into an Amiga and putting a bunch of educational abandonware on it for my daughter. I'd like to have it boot Linux and go right into AmiKit so that the machine actually becomes a "virtual" Amiga. For that, I need to lighten up AmiKit a bit, as it seems much slower to start up than AIAB or Amiga Forever. I'm afraid of how much slower it's going to be on that box. Do you think it'd speed up if I go back to Workbench rather than using Magellan?

Needless to say, AmiKit is very nice. You should get a commission from Cloanto, as I think you could be driving many of their sales.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#22 Posted: 8 Feb 2007 16:01 Edited by: AmiKit 
sez wrote:
I need to lighten up AmiKit a bit, as it seems much slower to start up than AIAB or Amiga Forever. I'm afraid of how much slower it's going to be on that box. Do you think it'd speed up if I go back to Workbench rather than using Magellan?

Check this thread please http://amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=131&forum=14

Author sez
Registered
#23 Posted: 8 Feb 2007 16:48 
Yep; verified. I just followed your instructions for going back to workbench, and then went off to http://scalos.noname.fr and got the latest Scalos beta.

AmiKit starts up a bit faster with Scalos than it does with Magellan. Since I'm so new to the Amiga, I really have no idea what I would be missing by going this route; just that everywhere I go it looks like people are replacing Workbench with something.

When I get more time, I will try replacing some of the other libraries mentioned in that thread to see if I get more of a speed improvement. I haven't tried anything except for Amiga Forever on the aforementioned laptop, and that's slow enough (and just runs the stock workbench), so I know I'm definitely going to need a speed boost. AIAB is out of the running, as the internet stuff tends to crash the emulator (must be the Voyager browser, I guess). I'm doing all this config on a faster machine and am planning on just copying the whole thing over to the laptop when I'm done.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#24 Posted: 17 Aug 2007 08:32 Edited by: AmiKit 
"AmiKit for the Linux Platform Guide" article is now available in Knowledge Base section of AmiKit website.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
I have Linux specific question AmiKit Support Forum / I have Linux specific question / Howto use AmiKit with UAE (linux) ? Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0